OnGuardOnline.gov Celebrates National Consumer Protection Week
March 4-10, 2012, is the 14th annual National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW)! NCPW is a coordinated campaign to focus attention on the importance of consumer education. To celebrate, federal agencies, state and local governments, and consumer organizations are promoting free resources to help consumers better understand their rights in the marketplace.
OnGuardOnline.gov wants to get involved, too. This week, we’re highlighting our most popular articles to help people avoid online frauds and scams. Take a look, and be sure to share these tips with your friends and family, too:
- Avoiding Online Scams: Ten steps you can take to avoid scams
- Phishing: What to do about messages that ask for your personal information
- Online Dating Scams: Signs that your online love is a scam artist
- Spam: What you can do to reduce unwanted commercial emails
- Tax-Related Identity Theft: Warning signs that an identity thief has used your social security number for tax purposes and what to do about it
Visit ncpw.gov for a wealth of consumer education resources available from NCPW partners on managing credit and debt; spotting and reporting scams; avoiding identity theft; looking after your family's health and safety; and much more.