Preventing Identity Theft and Other Cyber Crimes
During week three of National Cyber Security Awareness Month, the campaign focuses its attention on preventing identity theft and other cyber crimes.
To minimize your risk of identity theft, the Federal Trade Commission recommends that you:
- protect your Social Security number
- treat your trash and mail carefully
- be on guard when using the internet
- use complex passwords
- verify sources before sharing information
- safeguard your purse and wallet
- store information in secure locations
For more details, visit ftc.gov/idtheft.
To help you prevent and report online fraud, OnGuardOnline.gov offers ten things you can do to avoid online scams, descriptions of common online scams, and information about how to deal with identity theft.