A Gift-Giver’s Guide to Shopping Online
No need to wait for the turkey to be polished off – or the football games to be over – to start shopping online for the best holiday gifts. Take a few minutes before Thanksgiving to check out OnGuardOnline.gov’s tips for comparing products online and staying secure through checkout.
On the theory that every day can be Cyber Monday (or that every day’s a good day to hunt for deals), here’s a sneak preview of how you can get the biggest bang for your gift-giving budget:
- Use search engines strategically. Search for a product with words like “review,” “complaint,” or “scam.”
- Read online reviews. They can give you an idea how a product performs. Read more than one.
- Check shopping comparison sites. You can view the price of a product at several online stores – just keep shipping costs in mind.
- Consider coupons. Do a search with terms like “discount,” “coupon,” or “free shipping.”
- Check for a secure checkout. Make sure the website address start with https (the “s” is for secure) when you’re checking out and entering your personal and account information.